FRIDAY & SATURDAY
- Beaufort Old Homes and Gardens Tour. 10am-5pm. The popular annual undertaking features private homes, bed and breakfasts, churches and other public buildings. A choral concert is held on Friday evening. All buildings on the Beaufort Historic Site and the Old Burying Ground are also open for visitors. Bus tours on the group’s vintage double-decker bus are available at an additional fee. Details: 252-728-5225 or www.beauforthistoricsite.org.
- Alive at Five. 5-8pm. Join the Downtown Morehead City Revitalization Association for a free concert at Jaycee Park on the Morehead City waterfront. This month the Bound Party Band (3rd), Soul Psychedelic (17th) and Scearce & Ketner (24th) perform. Details: www.downtownmoreheadcity.com or 252-808-0440.
- Concert at the Fort. 7pm. Friends of Fort Macon annually bring visitors to the site with its popular concert program. The season kicks off with the Carteret Sunshine Band (3rd); Unknown Tongues (17th); and Scearce & Ketner (24th). The concerts are free and open to the public. Lawn chairs and blankets are welcome. Details: 252-726-3775.
SATURDAY & SUNDAY
- BHA Antiques Show and Sale. Held at the Crystal Coast Civic Center, Morehead City, this annual event is part of the Beaufort Historical Association’s Old Homes and Gardens Tour. The show features more than 40 vendors from up and down the east coast with a variety of antique wares. Tickets are $7 and are good for all three days. Details: 252-728-5225 or beauforthistoricsite.org.
- Introduction to Wooden Boat Building. 9am-4:30pm. In this two-day hands on course, students explore the art of boat building from start to finish. Begin with the design and lofting of boats and move on to the setup, steam bending and different methods of creating the back bone of small boats. Course fee is $135. Must be 16 to participate. Details: 252-728-7317 or www.ncmaritimemuseums.com.
- Civil War Musket Firing Demonstration. 10:30am & 2:30pm. Learn about the history of the Civil War era musket, along with loading procedures and firing at Fort Macon State Park. Details: 252-726-3775.
- Roosevelt Natural Area Paddle Trip. 4-6pm, Thursdays; 9-11am, Saturdays. Explore tidal flats and quiet backwaters as you become aware of the intricate web of life thriving in this pristine natural environment through this NC Aquarium program. Site provides canoes or kayaks. Age 12 and up, $25. A morning program is held each Saturday. Details: 252-247-4003 or www.ncaquariums.com.
- 10th Annual O’Danny Boy Golf Tournament. This year proceeds will go to the Raab Oncology Services. Cost is $60 per golfer. Shotgun start – 9am. Cash prizes and 50/50 raffle. Beverage cart on course. New car donated by Lookout Ford for Hole-In-One. Buffet & prizes at The Handlebar in Beaufort following the tournament. Details: 252-504-2317 or www.northriverresort.com/golf.
- Concert in the Park. 7-8:30pm. Join the Morehead City Parks and Recreation Dept. for a free summer concert at Jaycee Park on the Morehead City waterfront. Lawn chairs and blankets are suggested. This month performances include the Seaside Band (4th), The BackBeat (11th), Liquid Pickle (18th) and Built for Comfort (25th). Details: 252-726-5083.
- Behind the Scenes: Aquarium Close Encounters. 2-3:30pm. Visit labs and holding areas, and feed the animals in this thorough behind-the-scenes adventure that includes an overhead view of the Living Shipwreck. Age 8 and up, $20. Details: 252-247-4003 or www.ncaquariums.com.
- SwanFest. 6:30-8pm. Enjoy live music at Olde Town Square in downtown Swansboro. Bring chairs, blankets, even dinner if you’d like. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Free. This month’s performers include Wild Honey (5th), Dana & Susan Robinson (12th), Phantom Playboys (19th) and Tim & Myles Thompson (26th).
- Sea Turtle Trek. 7-9pm. Stroll the nighttime beach as you learn about the fascinating life of sea turtles and look for loggerheads nesting in the sand with the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. Age 5 and up, $10, Details: 252-247-4003 or www.ncaquariums.com.