Enjoy merriment among the marine life this holiday season. The aquarium is open 9am-5pm except closed all day Thanksgiving and Christmas days. One more exception for an exceptional reason – the doors close at 1pm Dec. 11 to get ready for a visit from Santa!
The jolly elf hears wishes from the little ones in a special evening event, Santa by the Sea. A professional photo print of the encounter is included in admission for each child 12 and under, as are keepsake crafts, favorite Yuletide stories, magic shows and aerial acrobatics performances. Tickets are sold 5:30-8:30pm; advance tickets are recommended.
Other winter bright spots:
• As Dec. 25 approaches, watch for divers outfitted as Santa and his elves in the Living Shipwreck.
• Keep your youngsters active during the school breaks with winter day camps, Dec. 28-30.
• As the weather outside turns frightful, sign up for Succulent Seafood. This program takes participants to the area’s top restaurants for seafood cooking recipes, tips and taste tests.
• Admission is free for all on the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, Jan. 18. The aquarium also is collecting non-perishable goods in a post-holiday food drive to restock Martha’s Mission Pantry.
• Satisfy your need for sunshine on warmer winter days by enjoying the Aquarium’s two nature trails and the Tree-mendous Nature Play area.
• Each Wednesday, little ones get up close with animals in free Toddler Time programs. Each session includes a story and craft.