Wedding planning isn't for the faint of heart – from contacting vendors to finding the perfect dress to sending out the invitations, there is a lot that goes into creating your dream wedding. Early planning can be the single most important factor to bringing it all together seamlessly.
10-12 Months Before
- Select date and time.
- Begin a wedding planner notebook and Pinterest board.
- Discuss the style and size of your wedding.
- Set a budget.
- Reserve venues for ceremony and reception.
- Select someone to officiate.
- Select wedding party.
- Start compiling guest list.
- Choose and hire a wedding planner or day of coordinator.
- Choose wedding colors.
- Begin search for wedding dress and undergarments.
- Put an engagement announcement in local papers.
8-10 Months Before
- Choose and hire your photographer, band or DJ, caterer, baker and equipment rental company.
- Create a registry.
- Order save the date cards.
- Reserve block of hotel rooms for guests.
- Choose bridesmaid dresses.
- Start discussing honeymoon options.
- Order wedding dress.
6 Months Before
- Send save the date cards.
- Finalize contracts with vendors.
- Finalize guest list.
- Book florist.
- Purchase gifts for your wedding party.
- Begin planning the ceremony.
- Arrange transportation.
- Order invitations and thank you cards.
- Order bridesmaids dresses.
- Book your honeymoon.
4 Months Before
- Finalize ceremony details with officiant.
- Order wedding cake.
- Finalize menu with caterer.
- Choose special music selections.
- Reserve tuxedos.
6 to 8 Weeks Before
- Send invitations.
- Finalize all decorations and accessories.
- Choose hair and make up for the day of.
1 Month Before
- Have a final fitting of gown.
- Schedule formal bridal portrait.
- Get marriage license.
- Mail rehearsal dinner invitations.
- Have all accessories purchased, including goblets, ring pillow, garter, candles, etc.
- Begin writing vows, if applicable.
- Create seating arrangements.
- Make plans for bridesmaids’ luncheon.
- Design and order wedding program.
1 Week Before
- Go over final details with all service providers.
- Arrange for someone to assist with last minute errands and to help you dress.
- Review final guest count with caterer.
- Send timeline to wedding party.
- Hold rehearsal dinner with all participants.
- Give photographer/videographer a list of photos/shots desired.
- Pack suitcase for honeymoon.
- Break in your shoes.
- Compile an emergency kit with band aids, bobby pins and other random items that could be in demand on the day of the wedding.
- Put tips, payment in envelopes for vendors.
- Fix hair or have an appointment to have it done at least three to four hours before the ceremony. Remember to wear a button down shirt.
- Start dressing 1 to 1 ½ hours before the ceremony or earlier if pictures are being taken before.
Groom's Wedding Day Checklist
- Allow plenty of time to get dressed and get to the ceremony location.
- Give the best man the bride’s wedding ring.
- Bring marriage license to ceremony.
After the Ceremony
- Send announcement to newspapers.
- Write and mail thank you notes.
- Have wedding dress cleaned and preserved.